London Insight Meditation (LIM) is a small independent charity that promotes insight meditation, plus related practices, values and teachings from the Buddhist tradition.
Our main activity is running highly-regarded and well-attended day events and short courses with Dharma teachers associated with the Insight tradition. We currently run about 30 events a year.
Purpose and scope of role
The Events Trustee role is a new role leading on the delivery of events and the ongoing strategic development of LIM’s programme.
This is an opportunity to work with people committed to LIM’s mission and to shape how LIM delivers this mission in the future.
The main responsibilities include:
- leading on the delivery of events supported by the Events Manager and a team of volunteers
- ensuring the appropriate policies are in place to secure the health and safety of events
- leading on programme development in consultation with the other Trustees and the Event Coordinators, and with Insight tradition teachers
- line management of the Events Manager (a part time contractor)
- helping run events with the Event Coordinator team.
The role is unpaid.
Personal qualities and experience
- Knowledge of the Insight Meditation tradition and a commitment to personal practice.
- Ability to deliver a 30-event programme by managing an annual planning cycle to time and on budget.
- Comfortable with the responsibility of being one of a group of Trustees involved in setting a clear direction for the charity and ensuring that it complies with its legal charitable obligations, and Buddhist ethical principles.
- Willingness to collaborate as part of a decentralised team of Trustees and colleagues managing LIM’s programming, events, marketing, IT support, finance, etc.
- Experience in operational management (ideally, but not necessarily, in a charity environment that relies on volunteers) and comfortable in a leadership role.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively.
- Ability to liaise with external stakeholders.
- Experience managing contractors and other suppliers.
The time commitment required is variable and can be up to 8-10 hours a week. Currently there are quarterly meetings with trustees and Event coordinators with the remainder of the time in less formal communications with team members and other stakeholders.
If you would like to discuss the role further with one of the current trustees, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
A downloadable version of the Events Trustee person specification is available here: Events Trustee (PDF 1.1MB)
To apply for the role, please send a cover letter and a short CV indicating your interest and suitability for the role to email@example.com. Closing date is November 24th 2019.