This page is about peer-led groups in London, which usually meet without a teacher.
If you are not based in London you can also find details of sitting groups near London here.
The insight tradition encourages regular meditation practice. Sitting groups for group meditation are common across Buddhist traditions. Though it does not itself organise such groups, London Insight Meditation publicises them through its website. The management and finances of the sitting groups are completely independent of London Insight Meditation.
We ask that sitting groups listed on our website should have the aspiration and intention to:
- Be organised on the basis of providing opportunities for shared practice in an environment of friendship and understanding.
- Offer a safe environment physically and emotionally, being particularly mindful of vulnerable attendees:
- Attendees should be over the age of 18.
- Any attendee who faces ongoing mental or emotional health problems is encouraged to seek help from a professional outside the group (for example a GP or counsellor).
- Have an affinity with the aims of London Insight Meditation and an interest in supporting its activities.
- Operate in a responsible way embodying the ethical principles of the Buddhist tradition including being run on a “not-for-profit” basis with sitting group members’ livelihoods kept separate from the sitting group.
- Be open to welcoming new members (unless it is made clear that it is a closed group) and be prepared to answer emails and telephone enquiries from prospective members (if a phone contact for the sitting group is given).
- Nominate a contact from the sitting group who can liaise with London Insight Meditation and who can share information from London Insight Meditation with sitting group members.
- Notify London Insight Meditation of changes needed to the website listing for the sitting group, to keep the listing up-to-date.
If you have any concerns about a group you attend, please discuss these with the group leader or other members of the group. If these remain unresolved, please contact London Insight Meditation about your concerns. London Insight Meditation will consider whether it will continue to list the group.
Being-in-Relationship Sitting Group
Where: Golders Green with some members joining on Zoom
When: Fortnightly on a Friday from 7pm to 9pm
Contact: Chuey Loh, firstname.lastname@example.org
Chiswick Meditation Group
Where: London Buddhist Vihara, 11 The Avenue, London, W4 1UD
When: every Tuesday 11am – midday
Contact: Paula: email@example.com
Dharma Action Network for Climate Engagement (in London)
What a monthly meditation flashmob/vigil to bear witness to the impact of fossil fuels on our planet
Where: Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA
When: Last Sunday every month at 10am
Dulwich Sitting Group, South London
Where: online via Zoom + members’ homes in Lambeth and Southwark
When: First and third Tuesdays of the month 7 – 9pm
Contact: Email firstname.lastname@example.org Tel Stella Chapman: 0208 693 9251
Ealing Meditation Group/Sangha
When: Every Tuesday night at 6:30pm.
Contact: For access details contact email@example.com / 0799 0935509.
Enquiry, Meditation, Connection
Where: via Zoom
When: Wednesday 7.30pm and occasional Saturdays
An online gathering for insight meditators in London during the coronavirus crisis. Exploring how our practice can help us navigate these times. Led by a team of Community Dharma leaders, mindfulness teachers and Order Members in the Community of Interbeing.
Insight Dialogue Group
(open only to those with experience of Insight Dialogue, Interpersonal Mindfulness or Relational Mindfulness)
When: varies please email for details
Kingston Mindfulness Meditation Group
Where: Fairfield East, Kingston upon Thames KT1 2PT
Where: Zoom currently provided by our sister group in Richmond. Please click here to request details.
When: Every Wednesday at 7.30-9pm
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org – https://kingstonmeditation.org.uk
London Fields / Dalston Sitting Group
Where: Currently meeting online via Zoom.
When: The last Friday of each month at 8.00pm. New members are very welcome.
North London Sitting Group
Where: Zoom and Crouch End
When: Mondays 7.15 to 10.00 pm
Contact: Peter or Carol email@example.com
North London Theravadan Buddhist Group (Affiliated to the Thai Forest Sangha)
- In-person alternate Thursdays at 7.30pm, Friends Meeting House, Church Crescent, Muswell Hill, N10 3NE.
- On Zoom alternate Thursdays at 7.15pm.
Contact: Katie Tribe; firstname.lastname@example.org; tel: 07527579617
Richmond Mindfulness Meditation Group
Where: online via zoom
When: Every Thursday 7.30-9.30pm
Twickenham Mindfulness Meditation Group
When: Tuesdays, 7:30pm
Study and discussion groups
London Mindful Practitioners
(non-profit group for mindfulness teachers and trainee teachers)
When: about 4 meetings a year – see website
Buddhist 12 Step Recovery Sitting Group
Where: Online via zoom
When: Tuesdays 6.30pm-8pm
gmail.com or Tel / WhatsApp +447793251688
Our Aim is to explore the 12 Steps of Recovery from Addiction as they relate to the Buddhist Dharma.
Everyone is Welcome as long as they have experience of a 12 Step Fellowship.
Recovery Dharma London UK
When & where: Sundays at 6.30 pm usually at the Jamyang Buddhist Centre 43A, Renfrew Road, Kennington, London SE11 4NA, (Elephant and Castle tube) but occasionally at the Bonnington Centre, 11 Vauxhall Grove SW81TD (Vauxhall tube) – check FB for venue
- Wednesdays at 6.45pm at 66 Lupus Street, SW1V3EQ (Pimlico or Victoria tube)
- Fridays at 7.00 pm at 32a Wardour St, Soho, W1D6QR (Tottenham Court Road tube)