This page is about peer-led groups in London, which usually meet without a teacher.
(If you are not based in London you can also find details of sitting groups near London here.)
The insight tradition encourages regular meditation practice. Sitting groups for group meditation are common across Buddhist traditions. Though it does not itself organise such groups, London Insight Meditation publicises them through its website. The management and finances of the sitting groups are completely independent of London Insight Meditation.
We ask that sitting groups listed on our website should have the aspiration and intention to:
- Be organised on the basis of providing opportunities for shared practice in an environment of friendship and understanding.
- Offer a safe environment physically and emotionally, being particularly mindful of vulnerable attendees:
- Attendees should be over the age of 18.
- Any attendee who faces ongoing mental or emotional health problems is encouraged to seek help from a professional outside the group (for example a GP or counsellor).
- Have an affinity with the aims of London Insight Meditation and an interest in supporting its activities.
- Operate in a responsible way embodying the ethical principles of the Buddhist tradition including being run on a “not-for-profit” basis with sitting group members’ livelihoods kept separate from the sitting group.
- Be open to welcoming new members (unless it is made clear that it is a closed group) and be prepared to answer emails and telephone enquiries from prospective members (if a phone contact for the sitting group is given).
- Nominate a contact from the sitting group who can liaise with London Insight Meditation and who can share information from London Insight Meditation with sitting group members.
- Notify London Insight Meditation of changes needed to the website listing for the sitting group, to keep the listing up-to-date.
If you have any concerns about a group you attend, please discuss these with the group leader or other members of the group. If these remain unresolved, please contact London Insight Meditation about your concerns. London Insight Meditation will consider whether it will continue to list the group.
Being-in-Relationship Sitting Group
Where: Golders Green. In-person meeting..
When: Fortnightly on a Friday from 7pm to 9pm
Contact: Chuey Loh, firstname.lastname@example.org
Crouch End Sitting Group
Where: Zoom and Crouch End
When: Mondays 7.15 to 10.00 pm
Contact: Peter or Carol email@example.com
Dulwich Sangha, South London
Where: online via Zoom + members’ homes in Lambeth and Southwark
When: Every Tuesday. First and third Tuesdays of the month 7 – 9pm, other Tuesdays 7 – 8.30 pm.
Contact: Email firstname.lastname@example.org Tel Stella Chapman: 0208 693 9251
Ealing Meditation Group/Sangha
When: Every Tuesday night at 6:30pm.
Contact: For access details contact email@example.com / 0799 0935509.
About: This group is for those interested in practising Insight Dialogue (ID) – a relational meditation practice. We generally ask that participants participate in an ID retreat, online introduction to ID, or Interpersonal Mindfulness course before attending our online sessions because these sessions assume an understanding of the process and guidelines for ID. However, if you have not done this, please do contact us to explore options.
Where: Regular evening sessions on Zoom and occasional retreat days in person in various locations in London.
When: Regular evening sessions are on Mondays 6.30pm-8.30pm and occasional retreat days are Saturday and/or Sunday.
Contact: Emma – firstname.lastname@example.org
Kingston Mindfulness Meditation Group
Where: Fairfield East, Kingston upon Thames KT1 2PT.
Where: Zoom currently provided by our sister group in Richmond. Please click here to request details.
When: Every Wednesday at 7.30-9pm.
Contact: email@example.com – https://kingstonmeditation.org.uk.
North London Theravadin Buddhist Group (Affiliated to the Thai Forest Sangha)
- In-person alternate Thursdays at 7.15pm, Friends Meeting House, Church Crescent, Muswell Hill, N10 3NE.
- On Zoom alternate Thursdays at 7.15pm.
Contact: Katie Tribe; firstname.lastname@example.org; tel: 07527579617.
Richmond Mindfulness Meditation Group
Where: online via zoom
When: Every Thursday 7.30-9.30pm
Twickenham Mindfulness Meditation Group
When: Tuesdays, 7:30pm