1) Mission – London Insight Meditation (LIM) is a small independent charity that promotes insight meditation, and related practices, values and teachings from the Buddhist tradition. We aim to present Insight meditation and related teachings in a manner that is accessible to western practitioners, while preserving their full depth. Our vision and mission statements can be found at https://www.londoninsight.org/about-us/about-lim.
2) Terms and conditions – These terms and conditions apply to the provision of events by LIM to Applicants and Participants, and form the basis of the contract between LIM and the Participant. They are intended to promote the welfare and satisfaction of Participants and the success of LIM in the fulfilment of its mission for the benefit of all.
3) London Insight Meditation / LIM / the charity / we / us means London Insight Meditation, a registered charity in England and Wales (charity registration number 1145212).
4) The Trustees means the Trustees of LIM, who are appointed under the terms of its constitution and who are responsible for the governance of the charity.
5) Teacher / the Teachers means any teacher or teachers appointed by LIM to teach events and courses for us.
6) Core team means the employees of LIM, the Director, the volunteers, and the Trustees involved in the running of the charity.
7) Event volunteers means the volunteers supporting the delivery of an event.
8) Applicant means any person who wishes to register or has registered or has paid the fees, in part or in full, for an event or course but has yet to participate.
9) Participant / means any person who has paid the required fees and has begun participation in, or completed participation in an event or a course.
10) Event means any event or course, whether in-person or online or hybrid, provided by LIM, which are subject to these terms and conditions.
C) Registration and admission
10) Registration – Applicants may register for events by means of the LIM website (www.londoninsight.org), via e-mail for a free place requests (email@example.com), or in-person at the venue for in-person events (when specified that this is an option).
In most cases, Applicants will be admitted to an event automatically on the payment of the required fees for the event.
In some cases, when the number of Applicants exceeds the number of places available at an event, LIM will keep a waiting list for Applicants and will notify Applicants if places come available. Places will be allocated to Applicants in a manner that we consider fair.
In some cases, as made clear in the event information, admission to an event is subject to the decision of the relevant Teacher or Teachers, at their sole discretion. This is to ensure that Participants and events are suitable for each other. The decision shall be made in a manner that the Teacher or Teachers consider fair. Any fees paid would be refunded in full if the applicant is not admitted to attend an event.
D) Participation in Events
12) Our commitment – We are committed under these terms and conditions to providing you with high quality events in a safe and supportive environment. Our events will be clearly described in the event descriptions published on our website, which will specify the Teacher(s), content overview, timing, duration, format (online or in-person), location (if in-person) and fees/ticket options.
We will appoint Teachers from Gaia House, or other Teachers thought suitable by LIM to teach events for us. Our teachers will consist of Teachers of international standing and of the highest reputation in their fields, as well as less well-known Teachers aligned with our mission appointed by the Core team.
13) Our events – Our events will typically conform to one of the following formats:
- Online events conducted only by means of virtual platforms (primarily Zoom);
- Hybrid events conducted partly as physical gathering and partly by means of virtual platforms; or
- In-person events conducted only as a physical gathering, but not including overnight accommodation.
Our events will typically conform to one of the following types:
- Evening events, limited to 1-4 hours;
- Day event, a retreat day or workshop typically lasting around 7 hours;
- Weekend event, a retreat or workshop typically lasting around 7 hours per day held over 2-4 sequential days; or
- A course, sessions of 1-3 hours held weekly over a specified period of time.
14) Changes to events – Whilst we are committed to providing events as close as possible to the published specifications, in certain circumstances it may be necessary for LIM to change the specifications of events, as to Teachers, content, timing, duration, format, location and fees. We will give you as much notice as possible of any such changes. If you can no longer participate as a result of any such changes, we will refund your fees in full if you wish.
15) Your commitment in participation in a LIM event – You are committed under these terms and conditions to participating in events in a manner that is respectful and supportive of other Participants, the Teachers and Event volunteers, including any staff of the venues we are using. In particular you should have regard to our policies on equality, diversity and inclusion and on ethical conduct.
You are expected to attend the event you have booked on. If you are unable to attend for any unexpected or urgent reason, you are encouraged to inform LIM of your non-attendance by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org), to help us and the event teacher(s) to anticipate attendee numbers.
16) Ethical conduct – High standards of ethical conduct are expected from all Participants, Teachers, Event volunteers and other supporters of our events. You are asked at all times to observe the following guidelines:
- Support the practice atmosphere and engage as requested by the event Teacher(s).
- Be sensitive towards all living beings and commit to a non-harming relationship to all life.
- Take only that which is clearly given.
- Refrain from consuming alcohol and any recreational drugs at/during an event.
- Abstain from all sexual contact in connection with an event.
17) Equality, diversity and inclusion – LIM is committed to making its events as widely accessible as possible, without exception. It is important to us to welcome all people of every age, ethnicity, cultural heritage and religious background, socio-economic group, ability, sexual orientation and gender identity. We seek to promote the inclusion and participation in all LIM’s activities of people of diverse identities, and we are committed to identifying, understanding, and taking down whatever barriers might prevent this happening. Meanwhile we acknowledge the learning and open-mindedness that this pursuit requires, and are committed to challenging ourselves as we continue on this journey.
18) Ending participation – The Teacher or Teachers of an event or the Core team of the charity may at any time at their sole discretion with sufficient reason require any Participant to leave any event. Reasons why the Teachers or LIM may decide to do so would include (without limitation) any serious breaches of these terms and conditions in general or conduct not consistent with respectful and supportive participation (section 15), policies on equality, ethical requirements (section 16) or diversity and inclusion (section 17). Refunds will not be given in these circumstances.
E) Money matters – Dana, deposits, fees, bursaries and cancellation
19) Dana – The fee payable for an event covers LIM’s running costs but does not include any payment to the Teacher. This continues the long-standing tradition that Teachers do not charge for their teachings, relying instead on donations (termed Dana) from the participants. LIM upholds this dana tradition in offering its events. Hence, you will be invited to consider offering dana (appropriate to your circumstance) to the Teacher for each event that you participate in.
In considering whether to join an event for the required fee, Applicants are advised to take into account dana for Teachers. More information on the practice of Dana can be found on our website: https://www.londoninsight.org/giving/.
20) Fees for events – LIM seeks to make its events as accessible as possible by keeping its event fees as low as possible, subject to earning enough income to cover its costs and to sustain and to develop the charity. In the light of this, we offer three fee tiers for each event:
- Standard rate – This is the fee necessary for LIM to cover the costs of organising the event.
- Supported rate – This is a subsidised fee, less than necessary to cover the costs of the event, designed for those with more limited means, offered in order to make the teachings as widely accessible as possible.
- Sponsor rate – This is a fee higher than necessary to cover the costs of the event, designed for those who are able to offer more to cover shortfalls for those needing to access the event at the supported rate.
Applicants are invited to select the fee level appropriate for their circumstances. If an Applicant is unable to afford the ‘Supported rate’ they can contact LIM via email (email@example.com), and at our discretion LIM may be able to offer a free place to an event providing places are available.
21) Payment for events – Event fees are paid by debit card or credit card in Sterling (GBP) as part of the booking process on the LIM website. If a place is offered to an Applicant on the waiting list, payment via bank transfer or PayPal may be offered as payment options. When explicitly specified for in-person events, cash at the venue may also be accepted as payment.
22) Cancellation – It can happen that Applicants are unable to participate in events they have booked and paid for and consequently wish to cancel. The cancellation request needs to be made via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org). However, late cancellations for in-person events may have the consequence for LIM that places may not be filled and income may be lost. Hence, the following cancellation policy applies:
- Cancellation of online event up until 1 week before event date: A full refund will be provided.
- Cancellation of online event less than a week before event date: A full refund is not automatically given, but the Applicant can still request this if they do not wish for the fee to be a donation to LIM due to the late cancellation.
- Cancellation of in-person event more than 1 month before the event date: A full refund is provided.
- Cancellation of in-person event 1 month to 1 week before the event start date: A full refund is not automatically given, but the Applicant can still request this if they do not wish for the fee to be a donation to LIM due to the late cancellation.
- Cancellation of in-person event less than 1 week before the event date: A refund will not be provided.
23) Exceptional circumstances – At our sole discretion, LIM may waive the cancellation policy in exceptional circumstances and provide a full refund for a less than 1 week before the in-person event date cancellation. Requests for the consideration of exceptional circumstances should be made in writing via e-mail (email@example.com), setting out why you as the applicant needs to cancel the booking.
F) Other conditions
24) Privacy – We respect your privacy and understand how important it is that your personal information remains secure. We will not reveal information about you without your permission and will never disclose your attendance on a LIM event unless we are required to do so for legal reasons or by the emergency services. Further information is available on the LIM website at https://www.londoninsight.org/privacy-policy.
25) Complaints – If you are not satisfied with any aspect of an event provided by LIM, you may submit a complaint by way of the complaints procedure. You may raise a complaint by means of emailing LIM’s Director: firstname.lastname@example.org, outlining your complaint.
26) Intellectual property – All materials provided by Teachers at events remain the intellectual property of the Teachers.
27) Travel arrangements – As it is possible that LIM may need to make changes to the specification of events, including timing, format and location, Participants are advised not to make firm travel arrangements until the event specifications are confirmed closer to the event date. LIM do not accept liability for your travel or accommodation costs.
28) Variations – These terms and conditions may be varied from time to time as required by law and as decided by the Trustees of LIM.
29) Disclaimer – The events LIM offers are devised and given by teachers.who are wholly independent of LIM.
LIM accepts no responsibility, legal or otherwise, for the contents of the events or the manner of their presentation by teachers, or for any travel arrangements participants may have made in order to participate in our events.
LIM accepts no responsibility, legal or otherwise, for any injury, illness or mishap which may be incurred by a participant whilst attending one of these events, including any harm suffered due to the negligence of any person.
LIM accepts no responsibility, legal or otherwise, for any accommodation or catering paid for separately by participants to the venues in which LIM events are held.
30) Jurisdiction – This contract between LIM and the Participant is governed by the law of England and Wales.
Dated: 22 November 2021