London Insight Meditation (LIM) is seeking to recruit a Marketing Trustee to our Board of Trustees.
London Insight Meditation is a small registered charity with the important mission of ensuring that the Buddha’s teaching is readily accessible in London; supporting the efforts of Londoners at every stage of the path to understand the Dharma and realise it in their own lives and fostering the growth of the community of Londoners who are inspired by the Buddha’s Dharma.
LIM runs a yearly series of about 30 events, primarily day retreats and workshops, which support understanding and meditation practice within the Insight (vipassana) tradition. In addition to the trustees, LIM has a part time paid Director, who reports to the trustees, and a part time paid Events Manager. Volunteers provide specialist services to LIM and ‘on the day’ services to ensure our events run smoothly.
What does the Marketing Trustee role involve?
The Marketing Trustee will play a vital role as part of LIM’s Board of Trustees, which sets LIM’s strategic direction, provides effective leadership and governance and ensures that LIM complies with its obligations as a charity. The Charity Commission website has useful information and guidance about the role of trustees in running a charity.
In particular, the role of the Marketing Trustee is to:
- design and implement a marketing strategy to promote our events and reach new audiences.
- manage and develop our social media channels (currently Facebook, Twitter and YouTube).
- develop our website (a project well advanced, but currently on hold).
- gather and analyse feedback from our community.
- recruit and supervise team members to support marketing, as appropriate.
Who are we looking for?
We are especially interested in candidates with:
- strategic marketing experience.
- social media experience.
- website development experience.
- a high level of commitment and integrity.
- an ability to think strategically and problem-solve.
- sound judgement and an ability to work as part of a team.
You should have some understanding of Buddhism and be committed to the values articulated in the Dharma teachings and vision and goals of LIM.
We estimate the time requirement to comprise preparation for, and attendance at, quarterly 2.5 hour trustee meetings, as well as additional operational work, with the total time required estimated to be around three days per month on average. Most meetings are currently held on Zoom.
We are very keen to ensure representation in the trustee group. We are truly committed to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, or what we call ‘Inclusive Sangha’, and we actively welcome applications from individuals across the diverse communities we aspire to serve.
What’s in it for you?
Becoming a charitable trustee at LIM:
- provides an excellent opportunity to gain valuable experience and transferable skills.
- is a tangible way to be of service to the community of Londoners committed to the Dharma and is consistent with the concept of dana (generosity).
Although the role is unpaid, it is always interesting and very rewarding.
How to apply
Please email expressions of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4th of August. Your application should include a covering letter outlining the reason for your interest and your history with LIM, how you feel you could contribute, what relevant experience you have, and your relevant skills. Please also include a CV. If you have any questions before submitting an application, please direct them to the same email address in the first instance and we will be in contact.
Since a new Chair will be an essential requirement for LIM’s continuation, we will first be conducting interviews with potential Chairs and seeking to confirm an appointment before going on to consider other Trustee applications.
With best wishes,