The dharma of desire with Catherine McGee
12 October 2019 9:30am - 5:00pm,
13 October 2019 10:00am - 5:00pm,
14 October 2019 6:00pm - 9:00pm,
15 October 2019 6:00pm - 9:00pm,
16 October 2019 6:00pm - 9:00pm
and 17 October 2019 6:00pm - 9:00pm
We need desire to practice the dharma and to live a meaningful life. Without desire there is no juice for the path, our practice can go flat and be uninspired, and not lead very far at all. And at the same time the dharma points wisely to the letting go of craving and clinging as the way to freedom. How do you hold the place of desire in your life, your practice? How do you understand and practice with desire?
In the course we will:
* discriminate craving from wholesome desire, recognise and practice with this important discrimination
* look in to the traditional teaching around desire, craving, clinging
* practice with the letting go of desire and understand the suffering born of craving
* examine the necessity of desire for a meaningful life and a path of practice and practising with skilful desire.
* inquire in to the dilemmas that can arise around desire for a lay person in a renunciate path.
* explore your narrative about the path and the goal of the path and why is it important to have such a story and understanding? we will get very specific about what you want and how this personal vision interacts with the frameworks of the path offered by the Buddha.
* cultivate relating to the scenes of our daily urban routine in ways that lead onwards towards the goals of the path
TEACHER SUPPORT AND EVENT PRICES
Events at London Insight are offered in a spirit of generosity. The price you pay goes towards the running of the event but does not include any payment to the teachers for their teaching. Instead our teachers rely on the generosity of participants for their livelihood. Click here for more information.
Standard: £200.00 – This covers our costs but not the cost of providing supported places
Sponsor: £250.00 – A voluntary higher rate enabling us to offer supported rate places
Supported: £150.00 – For those unable to afford the standard rate
Please pay the sponsor rate if you can.
If you are unable to afford the supported rate please let us know. We try to ensure that no one is turned away because of lack of funds.
LUNCH: There is an on-site café at St Luke’s, a Tescos opposite or bring your own.
SEATING: The venue will set the room up with chairs theatre style for this course. There are no cushions or mats available at this venue so if you prefer to sit on the floor, please bring what you need. Please be aware though that you will need to transport them to and from the venue during the week as the room will be used by other groups during the day.
REGISTRATION: will open at 9.30am on Saturday 12th Oct; the teachings will begin at 10.00am